February 15, 2011

Chicken Quesadillas

These are delish and SUPER simple. They only take about 1/2 hour to make. I was going to cook my chicken in the crockpot and shred it but I forgot so I ended up just cooking it in the pan and cutting it into small pieces. I made this for my kids to eat (and adults) so I cut everything into small pieces. You don't need to cut it into such small pieces if you are serving it to older kids.

Chicken Quesadillas
1 tsp Olive Oil
2 Chicken Breast
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Green Bell Pepper
1 1/2 cups cheese
8 Whole Wheat Tortillas
1/2 Sweet Onion

Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper. You can either cook them normal (in a pan) and then cut into strips or small pieces or on low in a crockpot for 4 hours and then shred the meat.

Heat another pan over medium with oil and add the onions. Cook until they are almost transparent and add bell peppers. Cook until tender (about 5 min).

Evenly distribute chicken on half of your tortilla. (I like to fold them in half rather than using 2. The folded side holds in the ingredients better for the kids.)

Top with cheese. (I like to put it in between the 2 other ingredients. I think it holds everything together better.)

Top with the vegetables and fold over.

Using a cooking spray, lightly coat the pan and put your folded tortillas onto the pan. Cook them on medium heat until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is browned. Flip to the other side and cook.

Children: Cut into triangles so it is easier for them to hold onto.
Babies: Cut meat extra small. Give them shredded cheese and small pieces of tortilla if they are able to chew it. They may also like the softened veggies.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You are a genius. I love a good, simple meal. I never would have thought to put the cheese in the middle of the layers as opposed to having it be on either side of the filling. A very smart way to save on calories!