February 4, 2010

Healthy Tip

We eat a LOT of beans. Why?

#1. They are cheap.
#2. They are SO healthy.


I go as cheap as possible and buy them dry. I make massive amounts of beans and then freeze them so I always have them on hand. We generally only eat kidney and black beans. Maybe one day we will go out of the box and try some new ones.

Here is what I do.

#1 Get 2 lbs of beans.
#2 Soak them over night (follow directions on back of bag)
#3 Boil them for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
#4 Put them in 2 cup Ziploc freezer containers.

#5 Let them cool.

#6 Put them in the freezer for whenever you need them.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love beans too. I've been meaning to go the cheaper route like you and cook them myself and freeze so thanks for the step by step instructions. Also, great for controlling the sodium level.

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Yey! This is the post i needed. I am hoping your cooking method works for me because I seriously am horrible at it!