January 18, 2012

Extremely Low Sugar Strawberry Jam

This can be bottled and stored on your shelf OR in your freezer.

The best thing about it is you don't have to us pectin!

So I wrote down exactly what I did today. Strawberry's went on sale for 1.27 lb so I stocked up and made some jam. We were running low. I use this EXACT same recipe for apricots and peaches...minus the lemon juice. This is about 1/6th of the jam that recipe's normally use to make jam. The riper the strawberries the YUMMIER it will be. Here you go:

Extremely Low Sugar Strawberry Jam:
6 lbs strawberries (this is 12 cups puree'd)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup modified corn starch
1/4 cup lemon juice

I started by cutting off the leaves and quartering them.

Then I put them in the blender and lightly puree'd them. I am not a big fan of the clumps but if you don't mind it you can actually skip pureeing and put them in your pan and mash them. You can use LOTS less cornstarch if you do.

Then, I added the rest of the ingredients in a sauce pan and cooked it on medium heat until it came to a boil. I boiled it for 5 minutes.

I almost immediately put it in the containers before it starts to set.

No joke that this is how clean my kitchen was 1 hr after getting the stuff out to make it. It is THAT easy.
Don't you love my empty house? We just moved in. I need to start decorating and painting and STOP making jam :D.

No comments: