November 21, 2011

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup

OK y'all. This is my FAVORITE soup and my kids love it too. It is SO divine. I got it from here. I am going to post how I make it though. I make some very slight changes. We also freeze the left overs of this one. From one pot I fed my family and another family in need. THEN I made and extra batch without the cilantro to freeze. We have frozen it with the cilantro in it and it is just as good either way.

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves fresh or roasted garlic, minced

80 oz (10 c) chicken broth (I use the reduced salt bullion cubes)

10 oz can Rotel tomatoes, mild

7 oz can diced green chilies

4 medium chicken breasts, shredded

2 1/2 cups cooked rice

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

Pinches Kosher salt

fresh cracked black pepper

1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

3 diced avocados, drizzled with lime juice

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese


1. Cook chicken in a crockpot; shred.

2. Spray a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes then add in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, green chilies, chicken breast, rice, lime juice and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes; taste and season according to your liking. Right before serving add chopped cilantro.

3. Serve soup with fresh diced avocado, shredded cheese.

10-12 servings

No comments: