October 31, 2011

EASY Peasy Jam!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
I have been opting to make my own jam lately because I am sick of feeding my kids sugar by the sandwich-full!

Get this: all you need is fruit, sugar, and modified cornstarch...SERIOUSLY...totally not kidding.

I wish there was a step by step instruction for you to follow on this one but there isn't. You just guess and throw it together.

I, so far, have made: Strawberry, apricot and peach jam...all the exact same way.

I chop and pit my fruit, puree it, stick it in a pot with about 8:1 ratio of fruit:sugar and then add some modified cornstarch (I use stuff from Kitchen Kneads). I boil it until it thickens (sometimes I have to add about 2 cups for 16 cups of pureed fruit). Put it in bottles or 2 cup tupperware and either bottle it or freeze it after it cools.

THAT IS IT! Feel free to ask questions if you need to. We LOVE this. We can actually TASTE the fruit and it is SOOOO yummy on toast or PB&J's!

No comments: