April 18, 2011

Simple Salmon/Tuna and Cheese Sandwichs

Growing up one of my favorite, low key, Sunday dinners was grilled tuna and cheese sandwich's. Since then we have changed them a bit. We used to use Mayonnaise, then we evolved to 1/2 mayo and 1/2 puree'd white beans. Now we use 1/2 puree'd beans and 1/2 plain yogurt. For me it has to have some thickness like mayo and a little bit of tang like the mayo and with the beans and yogurt we get the best of both worlds. The other difference is we used to use canned Tuna and we now use canned salmon. We like the texture and the taste a little better. But you can use either.
4 pieces Whole Wheat Bread
1 can Tuna or Salmon
1/4 cup Plain Yogurt
1/3 cup Puree'd White Beans (such as Navy Beans)
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar or Mozarella Cheese
1/4 cup Pickles, finely chopped (optional)

In a bowl combine fish, yogurt, beans, cheese and pickles. Mix until combined. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray (on medium heat). place one piece of bread on pan then put mixture in middle and top with another piece of bread. When bottom piece is toasted, flip, and toast the other side of the sandwich.

Children: Cut the sandwich into fourths or halfs and serve with steamed veggies (picture below)

Babies: Tuna is not recommended for babies because of the mercury. I am not sure about salmon. I would recommend just giving them the veggies you make to go along with it. You could also give them the bread broken into pieces and some shredded cheese.


2 comments:

Amanda said...

Love a salmon sandwich! I'll have to try this version instead of my usual mayo. Looks good and I love the simplicity of it too.

Camille said...

I love your mayo substitute - I'll have to try that!! That sandwich looks really yummy.